- shared data;
- centralized control;
- disadvantages of redundancy control;
- improved data integrity;
- improved data security,and database systems; and,
- flexible conceptual design.
- a complex conceptual design process;
- the need for multiple external databases;
- the need to hire database-related employees;
- high DBMS acquisition costs;
- a more complex programmer environment;
- potentially catastrophic program failures;
- a longer running time for individual applications; and,
- highly dependent DBMS operations.